Gas water heater venting

The Tank Gas water heater venting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    clinktone
    Participant

My water heater sits in an open corner of the garage vents to the roof. The venting to the roof used to be used for a 30 gallon tank, and that tank sat closer to the wall. The new tank is 40 gallons and due to the larger diameter of the tank, the venting coming from the roof does not line up with the new tank. I placed one of those “adjustable elbow type pieces” but it does not sit perfectly on top of the draft hood. I tested the venting to see if there was a “draw” and smoke from a match clearly enters upward through the venting. Should I ge overly concerned about the improper connection to the draft hood? Oh, the old venting was 4 inch and the new water heater is 3 inch venting. I’m assuming that venting to a larger diameter is ok. I wouldn’t do it the other way around. Thanks.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: To keep vent connections straight and square elbows are used in pairs. This allows an offset and vertical pipes. Venting from 3″ to 4″ is almost certainly OK. Venting from 3″ to 12″ wouldn’t ever work. It’s a matter of degree :).

Yours, Larry

clinktone
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. My venting takes a quick angle as it comes out of the heater, bascially, at the draft hood, and then pretty much runs straight toward the roof. Would I notice any kind of “smell” if it wasn’t venting correctly?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: You may not notice an odor. How about this… run two or three screws through each joint in the sheet metal and at the draft hood to vent pipe joint, wrap it with aluminum tape. This is metal tape that’s sticky on the back, which has essentially nothing to burn (unlike duct tape :P). That way you are assured pipe joints that will stay put and not leak fumes.

Yours, Larry

clinktone
    Participant

Ah, that’s the ticket. I’ll pick some of that up and give it a try. Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page