Gas Water Heater pilot not working

The Tank Gas Water Heater pilot not working

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    benth12
    Participant

The heater stopped working (no hot water)

The status light is not blinking so attempted to restart by following manual instructions (Control Knob set to Pilot, and click the Ignition button for 90 seconds; waited 10 minutes and repeated.) Repeated maybe 6 or 8 times, but the control light does not start blinking red.

I noticed, when I press the control know in and hold and press the clicker, by looking through the viewpoint window I can see a small blue flame that stays lighted until I release the control knob. (Wouldn’t the fact that I see a blue flame burning indicate the unit is getting gas)

But the status light will not start blinking red.

When the control knob is turned to some temperature the heating unit does not ignite.

Very much appreciate some help solving my problem.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: That blue light is the pilot. It should burn steadily. There’s info in “Tanklets” to help with pilots, but the thermocouple should be getting hit by the flame and be hot, (dull red). If it is heating up like that, than checking where the thermocouple screws in is the first thing to check. Then see if the FVIR system has kicked in. Next is to replace the thermocouple and see if that does it. After that, it’s checking with the maker to see if there has been a problem with the gas control.

More info about the heater would help too. 😉

Yours, Larry

ps. Getting someone who’s familiar with gas controls would help with identifying any other problems.

benth12
    Participant

Thanks ‘eleent’ for the reply. After talking with different ones and suggestions I received on a different forum web site and performing countless diagnostic tests, was able to narrow the problem to the gas control unit. I was dead set on it being thermo coupler related and almost went out to buy one but voltage testing said STOP – no way. After eliminating all else, it came down to the only thing left was the gas control unit. Those units don’t come cheap ($153 _+++) but the good folks at AO Smith agreed to replace if I’d pay shipping. So now I know a lot more how these new hot water heaters work, and hopefully when the unit comes, problem solved.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi: Do let us know how it works out. 😉 This learnin’ never stops.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page