Gas Water Heater

The Tank Gas Water Heater

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bikinicat
    Participant

Willl a leaking water gas water tank blow up if the water drains out…?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If most of the water drains out, it’s a possibility. But usually one of the reasons it’s leaking is water pressure. If the pressure is on, it’s going to fill back up faster than it can leak out. If you shut off the pressure, a lot of times, that will buy you time to get a replacement because the leak will slow or stop altogether. If you had a big leak, you’d want to shut the tank down anyway.

Randy Schuyler

Bikinicat
    Participant

Thanks so much for your answer Randy. I was a nervous wreck thinking that my gas water heater could have been the cause of a blow up in a condominium of 7 other units. Especially since I am not there in the winter time. What do other people do in this kind of situation?

If it blew up, what kind of damage could it cause? How often does this kind of thing happen.

The water heaters are stored under the building in basement type area

Thanks, Noreen

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It’s a very rare occurrence, but when it happens, it’s spectacularly catastrophic. It could launch like a rocket out of the basement, through the condos, out the roof and land a couple of blocks away.

Is this one big heater for the seven condos or individual ones? And is it, in fact, leaking? You never did give specifics.

Randy Schuyler

Bikinicat
    Participant

Hi again….my new best friend. (smile)

It is a ten year old gas heater, and is mine exclusively. It sprung a leak and was only noticed because one of the other owners heard the sump pump go on and it wasn’t raining. My main concern would have been what if he wasn’t home and didn’t hear rhe sump pump go on. How long before it blew up…?

Thanks so much for your advise, RAndy…

Noreen

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It probably won’t, but you should still see about having it replaced. Water heater leaks only get worse with time.

Randy Schuyler

Bikinicat
    Participant

Thanks Randy….I did replace it. But I just wondered if I had not been there and no one noticed the leak, how long before it blew up…?
    Thanks,
    Noreen

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: To be dangerous, the heater would have needed to be emptied or overheated. Usually, when a tank leaks, it’s akin to turning a faucet on. Water comes out, but the supply of water keeps the line full. If you think of the tank as simply a big pipe, it becomes clear that it stays full of water and remains safe. If you turn off the water and what’s in the tank leaks out, that’s a different story, because the water can leak down enough so the gas control can’t sense water temperature in the tank and could let things overheat. If the gas control fails and won’t shut off, that’s bad too 😯

I’ll suggest that when you leave the place, turn the gas control down to pilot, so the main burner cannot come on. Another thought is to turn the water to the heater off AND open a hot tap to keep pressure off the tank if the tank’s shut off valve leaks a bit.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page