Gas fired water heater exhaust vent issue

The Tank Gas fired water heater exhaust vent issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bruce@30
    Participant

We just moved into a house with a gas fired water heater. That in itself is not the issue. The exhaust vent pipe has a “baffle vent” as a plumber I had in for other work told me. What I neglected to ask was ” why is it there? And what for?” Last 4 homes lived in, 2 had gas fired water heaters. One of those exhausted into chimney as does this one. Last night a bat found its way into the basement. The only way is thru the chimney and out that “vent”! I temp attached screen to hopefully stop that again. I’ll have to get up on roof the check. Can I do away with that? At times when I walk passed it I got a whiff of exhaust gas. Since its been warmer, AC is on.

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I wonder if there used to be another gas appliance that hooked up to the vent? If it’s a very tall vent stack, it might have had a barometric damper once. Regardless, I see no reason for having a big hole in the vent pipe now. I’d screen the vent pipe on the roof and cap off or remove the “T” down by the water heater. Also, it could be hard to fix, but there is a lot of horizontal pipe where it should be vertical. That could affect draft and promote spilling of fumes into the living space. 😯
    Yours, Larry

Bruce@30
    Participant

Understood. Thank you

Bruce@30
    Participant

Understood. Thank you

Bruce@30
    Participant

Oh did I mention the “T” is oval shaped. Don’t know if that means much

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page