Galvanic Corrosion Question

The Tank Galvanic Corrosion Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ODA
    Participant

Question: If a gas water heater has its stock drain valve removed and replaced with just a straight piece of 3/4″ galvanized pipe with a galvanized cap on the end, would that be compatible with the steel tank? Or would corrosion set in? Assume teflon tape is used on the male threads.

Thank you.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Yes that would get along with the tank. A better way however would be to get a galvanized, plastic lined nipple to screw into the tank and then cap or add a ball valve to it. 😎

Yours, Larry

ODA
    Participant

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the plastic lined nipple is best for permanently attaching a brass ball valve on it, because the brass is a noble metal and will corrode the unprotected galvanized pipe and tank. Hence, the need for the plastic lined nipple.

But I did not think that a nipple lined pipe with a galvanized cap would be less reactive than a galvanized, unlined pipe with a galvanized cap.

That is interesting.

Thank you.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, My take on it is that new galvanized does not hold up as well as old galvanized used to. Also, should you ever want to add a valve to the end of the pipe, it would be best if a lined nipple is already in place. And, the cost difference may be as much as a dollar, so why not go with the option that gives more longevity and choices? 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page