FLOODING

The Tank FLOODING

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    got a boat?
    Participant

everytime I go out of town for over 24hrs, the hot water tp valve floods my basement…I do not mean that it “leaks”…more like 3 to 4 inches deep in a good sized basement. house is heated with a broiler that is tied in with the hot water tank (electric rheem). hot water tank is currently shut off at circuit breaker. broiler still works fine. problem started occuring in the summer when the heating system was turned off (broiler is never actually off). when hot water tank was on, I noticed no problem with the water temp. with it turned off, still no problem with water temp-just have to wait longer for the hot water to get whatever area of the house. any suggestions?

Lakota
    Participant

Sounds like you have thermal expansion happening. You probably need to add an expansion tank Also do you know the temp of the water.might be to hot Hope this helps.

got a boat?
    Participant

I don’t know the water temp, but we did set it lower (more than once) and that did not solve the problem. We also tried lowering the water temp on our broiler. Again, did not help. This problem started last spring/summer, I can’t remember the exact date, but probably within 2 to 4 weeks of turning the heating system off. Also, there has never been any small leaks or dribbles or anything like that. It went from operating fine one weekend, to flooding the next weekend. (I work out of town almost every weekend). Have no idea the last time the tank was drained, but do know that it hasn’t been drained for at least 4 to 5 yrs.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Don’t lose any sleep over draining the tank. In the first place, without something like a curved dip tube in place, it doesn’t do much good. In the second place, it has no bearing on your current problem.

Do go to Tanklets (link in the first line of The Tank) and read the entries under Temperature/pressure relief valve and educate yourself about thermal expansion and how to test for it.

Do also think about checking the anode rod in your water heater if it’s more than six years old. That is the more important part of water heater maintenance that nobody ever talks about.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page