flammable water

The Tank flammable water

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fightback
    Participant

Ok so ill start off by saying Im not a plumer,But I did manage to build and plum a bathroom in my shop. Toilet sink, hot water heater(electric). Its been installed and working great for two years. But for some reason since day one when I turn on the hot water at my sink it spits air(or what I thought was just air)out for the firsts few seconds. Turns out its VERY FLAMMABLE!!! Im freaking out, and having a hard time finding someone who can figure out why. Ive called local plumers who seem to not know why. and also the water treatment plant. Still no definitive answer. Im on city water,and neighbors aren’t having issues. This tells me its got to be the water heater having some kind of reaction. please help.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That’s just hydrogen created by the action of your anode. Go here to read more about it and find the solution: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/Tanklets/outgassing-at-faucets.html .

Randy Schuyler

fightback
    Participant

thanks for your help. I guess this means im not very good at researching either! because I missed it. If I didn’t do anyting about the problem, will it hurt anyting.Again its just a shop bathroom.I just don’t want it to cause any problems in the future.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, The buildup of gas suggests you don’t use that system often, and gas generation is a normal function of sacrificial anodes. I see three approaches:

1. Do nothing. Likely not a problem.
    2. Install an air vent on top of the heater so it vents the gas before it gets into the plumbing.
    3. Install a powered anode (sold here). Powered anodes do not produce the gas that sacrificial rods do and in your case, may prevent odor from becoming a problem in the little used heater. 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page