Extending the Life of a New Whirlpool W.H.

The Tank Extending the Life of a New Whirlpool W.H.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dsnevill
    Participant

First, thanks for creating an informative and excellent website.

I took your advice and bought a 50 gal Whirlpool (gas) W.H. with a 6 year warranty (and the 5 year extension for $50) from a big box retailer. The State unit I replaced lasted 13 years.

Now I want to upgrade the anode, and whatever else, to make it last longer. I have a water softener, and have a recirculating pump plumbed in, and thought that might be a consideration for a powered anode vs. replacing the Aluminum one with Magnesium. The tank to drain valve distance is: 48.5″

How long can I go with factory installed anode before I should replace it?

Thanks again! Best Always, David

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Check it every couple of years and replace when you can see six inches of core wire.

Randy Schuyler

dsnevill
    Participant

Randy – thanks.

Will a powered anode extend the life?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Any anode will extend its life, but the way I look at this is that powered anodes are most compelling when there is odor and/or a softener is being used. The latter can consume sacrificial anodes rapidly. In ordinary water without a softener, sacrificial anodes are probably superior because they’re cheap, have no parts, and don’t need electricity.

I’m proud to be the distributor for the powered anode because it’s a great product, but once in a great while they break, they do need electricity, and they’re expensive.

I think your idea of checking the current anode — provided you don’t share our concerns about aluminum — and replacing it with perhaps a powered one later on, makes sense.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page