Everything changed but won't heat

The Tank Everything changed but won't heat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    handygirl
    Participant

Hi, I have changed the elements and both thermostats on my 50 gal electric heater and I am getting power to both but they are not heating. The ECO is not tripped and I made sure the tank was completely full before restoring power to the unit.

I have gone through the manufacturer’s troubleshooting with no avail. Any ideas?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

We have our own troubleshooting sequence in Tanklets under Electric Water Heater Issues. If you can use a voltmeter, try running through that.

Randy Schuyler

Ej
    Participant

I would be interested in hearing how you checked power. Did you check both legs at the same time or did you check one leg at a time to ground?

handygirl
    Participant

Hi,
    This has become a mute subject since our landlords are replacing the tank now anyway.
    But to answer the posts – before posting the question on this forum I researched and followed not only the manufacturer’s troubleshooting tree but yours (and others) as well. We are mechanics by trade and know how to check an electrical circuit. For the second post, I am assuming that you are referring to the legs on the heating elements? We checked them with the wires off post to post.
    Thank you for the replies.

Ej
    Participant

handygirl wrote:

Hi,
    For the second post, I am assuming that you are referring to the legs on the heating elements?

No I was interested if you went across L1 and L2 at the same time or if you measured L1 to ground then L2 to ground. You never did verify a voltage reading in your posts only that you were getting power. Not getting the required voltage to your heater would produce the same results even after you replace all the components.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page