Electric water heater not producing enough hot water

The Tank Electric water heater not producing enough hot water

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DamnitCastle
    Participant

Have a GE Electric Water that’s about 5 1/2 years old.

Recently while taking showers, the hot water would run out in about 5 or so minutes and now have to crank the dial to the hottest setting to squeeze out every last remaining bit of hot water.

The shower is nice and hot for the first 5 minutes and then every minute that passes it gets colder and colder until there is no more warm water left.

It was never like this before.

Used a multimeter and going through with GE support determined that there was an issue with the upper and lower thermostat. The upper and lower heating elements are okay and producing a good reading on the multimeter.

I swapped out both the upper and lower thermostat and the hot water in the shower is still running out after 5 minutes.

I’m not sure what else could be the problem.

I’m afraid now i’ll have to shell out considerable money for someone to come take a look at it. 🙁

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, You might check three other things; one is the dip tube; another is whether you have a record line and lastly, a cross connection in the plumbing. I think you’ll see these topics in “tanklets”. 😉
    Yours, Larry

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I think Larry means recirc line, not record line. I’ve done this myself, where my brain knows what it wants my hand to write, but my hand has other ideas.:shock:

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Yup, That’s the problem with using a smarter than me phone. 😀

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page