electric water heater

The Tank electric water heater

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ppfursich
    Participant

We had some plumbing work done on Friday by a plumber. He had to go outside and turn off the water to do the work. He finished and turned the water back on. At that time, we notice we had no hot water. We checked the breaker box and the switch for the water heater was off. We turned it back on, but still had no hot water. The next day we were able to get warm water in one bathroom, but no where else. We then called for Sears to come out to check the water heater which is 13 months old. They said the element was fine. They could not verify whether the thermostat was operating correctly so they just replaced it. After they left we waited again for hot water to return. It did in two sinks, but not all faucets. Then this morning there was no hot water in any of the faucets. Sears is to return again on Saturday, but in the meantime, we still are taking cold showers! Does anyone have any thoughts what the problem might be?

energyexpert
    Participant

You did not say if you had hot water before the plumber came. It is not infrequent to forget to turn back on the power to an appliance after servicing it. But if you had hot water before the plumber and not after, I would be calling to inform him he is in hot water because you are not.

You went from no hot water to some warm water. This would indicate the thermostat is set very low. The water heater had to operate for a short period of time to go from cold to warm.

David

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: What work did your plumber do? If a cross connection was created during his work, it could display the symptoms you’ve described. Do a search for cross connection and try the test for it. It might be a big part of the problem.

Yours, Larry

ppfursich
    Participant

Yes, we did have hot water before he came to put in new shower hardware, but he never touched the hot water heater, just the water shut off valve in the front yard. He thinks it is soley a water heater problem, but the water heater man says the water heater is working fine and the problems lies elsewhere.

ppfursich
    Participant

The plumber installed new shower hardware in a shower that we are remodeling.

fugazi48
    Participant

oops ignore my message:

My guess is the scald guard on your new shower faucet is set too low. My apartment shower used a allen wrench to remove the handle and move the plastic stop so the temperature can go higher.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The test for a cross connection is easy and will give you info on what the problem is or isn’t. Turn off the water to your heater. Open a hot tap at any faucet other than the new shower. The water should run only a second or two, then stop. If it continues to run, than cold water is making its way into the hot, cooling things down. Put things back as they are normally. Now turn on the shower … all the way cold. Is it really cold? Possibly the hot and cold lines are crossed? If it’s a pressure balanced shower, you won’t get any flow at all if one side is off. I’ll add that sometimes brass castings are defective, with holes in them where they shouldn’t be 😛 Twill drive sane people crazy. Some showers also have little screwdriver shut-off valves built into them. If yours has these, are they open? Trobleshooting requires that you not make assumptions. Another question; do you have a recirculating line for quick hot water? All will become clear 😎

Yours, Larry

ppfursich
    Participant

Well we have the problem fixed. Thanks for all your advice. After reading your response I was convinced it was a plumbling problem and not the water heater. My husband called for a different plumber to come out and he found that when plumber #1 installed the new shower hardware, there was a defective valve in the Delta box of parts. The defective valve was causing the hot water to get mixed with the cold. He fixed it in no time. Yea to plumber #2. I wish I had called him before footing the $155.00 bill to Sears for checking the water heater. Thanks again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page