Dropped water heater… ok?

The Tank Dropped water heater… ok?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    visoredge
    Participant

While installing my heater (gas) 40gallon, my brother and I dropped the tank about 12-18 inches onto a wood floor.
    There was a dent near the intake vents, but no rattling… glass to the pilot light was intact.

It’s working now.

Is there anything i should be worried about?
    Early leaking?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Luckily, I cannot speak from experience :). Intuition suggests however that dropping might have damaged the glass lining in the tank. i don’t think it likely, but a risk. Check the anode when the tank is a year old and probably again at two years to see how quickly it’s being consumed. If there were cracked glass/ exposed steel, the anode would be getting used up faster than normal.

Yours, Larry

visoredge
    Participant

Thanks..

Thats what I was afraid of…

I guess it’s a waiting game!

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s a waiting game, but it’s good practice. Everybody should check their anode fairly often anyway;). You just have a bit more incentive than average.

I suggest you take a marker and mark today’s date rather largely on your tank so you can be reminded to check the anode a year from now. Odds are, it will be OK. Then, maybe, you can wait two or three years before the next check. But if you forget altogether, replacing that tank will become a rather dismal ritual in the years ahead, dropped tank or not.

Randy Schuyler

visoredge
    Participant

How often are you supposed to check your anode?
    Then do you often replace it?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Normally, it would make sense to check it a year before the warranty runs out and then every couple of years afterward. That’s unless you soften. If you soften, it should be once a year.

The rule of thumb is to replace when there is six inches of exposed core wire.

Since you’re concerned about the glass lining, check in one year. If it’s mostly intact, check two years after that.

I learned the hard way that leaving it too long is a mistake because conditions can change. Water is a chemical that is constantly changing and sometimes that has an affect on water heater life.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page