Do I need to replace whole hot water heater or just the sacrificial anode? Details in post!

The Tank Do I need to replace whole hot water heater or just the sacrificial anode? Details in post!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    FilmTraveler
    Participant

I was hoping to get some expert advice here. About a month ago, I noticed the water from the hot water heater (a 2002 Envirotemp, gas) had a visibly brownish cast. I repeatedly flushed the tank (probably around 10 times) before it finally ran clear. Yesterday I noticed it’s gone brown again.
    Should I replace the anode and let it carry on for a while? Or is this generally speaking a sign that it’s too late? I don’t believe the anode has ever been replaced before. (I still have to buy a 1 1/16″ socket to get it out so I haven’t tried to peek inside yet.)
    My newbie understanding is that the anode is a preventative rather than a cure, so on a 14-year-old tank, if it’s turning brown it means the previous owners didn’t do their maintenance and it’s basically done for, you’re outta luck, go ahead and replace the tank. Thoughts?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If not too late, very late. A new anode will stop any further rust but it will also be consumed much more rapidly because of the damage to the interior. You’d have to watch it like a hawk. I’d lean toward a new heater.

Randy Schuyler

FilmTraveler
    Participant

I went ahead and picked up a new AOSmith. I was getting a very bad feeling about that old tank. Thank you for the advice!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page