dip tube

The Tank dip tube

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    b-y
    Participant

4yr old brad white 40gal elect – changed both elements, both ‘stats, checked cross connects, all elect joints/splices. just not enuf hot water – only 1 shower. ready to get new dip tube. how far off bottom of tank to cut it? thanks, al

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Three questions: How long are your showers? Do you have low-flow showerheads? Is this a sudden change from past experience?

And a fourth: Is your lone shower a full one?

Randy Schuyler

b-y
    Participant

thank you, i understand about water use, but yes, this is a recent change in the supply of hot water. ag

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: A few other things… If you have a recirc line, it may be feeding cold from the bottom of the heater into the hot side plumbing. The way I check for cross connection in the plumbing is to shut off the cold supply to the heater and then open any hot tap and see that it quickly stops running. Is that what yours did? Any chance hot and cold are reversed at the heater? Remove the lower hatch and feel the side of the tank (power off) to see if there is any heat there. If not, the lower element is not heating.

The heater is not old enough for me to worry about a decomposed dip tube, but still, you could simply remove the old one to look at and put it back if it’s good.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page