Combination of Electric Anode + Magnesium?

The Tank Combination of Electric Anode + Magnesium?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    saga2
    Participant

I understand you wouldn’t mix an aluminum & magnesium sacrificial anode due to different nobility etc. However (and I am about to publicly betray gross ignorance) I wondered how a magnesium anode would work paired with an Electric Anode?

One could, for instance, have the magnesium anode occupying the space of a combo anode while the electric anode were in hex anode position.

One reason I can think of to do this would be so the magnesium anode could act as backup in the event of a power failure or breakdown of the electric. But that would only be practical if the magnesium did not corrode (or corroded incrementally small amounts) when the electric anode was working, even in soft water.

Would the electrical reaction of the one discourage the chemical one of the other?

Would it depend on how strong the anode was, and for the one that self-adjusts the, it might potentially cause the electric anode to spiral down with the presence of the magnesium?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

You’re not the first to think of this. I’ve talked with the makers of one of the powered anodes, and they’re not sure what will happen, but advise against it. In fact, they’ll void the warranty if someone tries it.

Beyond that, though, powered anodes are mostly used in odor situations and having a sacrificial anode in the tank will absolutely cause a ton of odor.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page