Cleaning sediment from an electric GE 50 gallon water heater

The Tank Cleaning sediment from an electric GE 50 gallon water heater

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ac
    Participant

Hi,

I would like know what I need to flush out a electric water heater. The anode in the tank has been replaced 3 times and there is sediment from the used anodes. The water in the tank is softened. The water heater is about 5 years old.

Yesterday I ordered your power anode sku 27. I installed the same sku 27 on a different heater a year ago. It works great.

My question is how do I clean out the tank without installing parts onto the heater. I was wondering if you sell a wand that attaches to a garden hose to flush out the tank via the bottom element?

I search your website with no information on this mater. Your kits seem to be a permanent install which is ok but in my case not needed. I would prefer not a permanent install solution.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

First, thank you for your comments in the static post. I hadn’t thought of that, and neither had my friends at the manufacturer.

You could take out the lower electric element and run a hose into it and try to flush that way. You’ll probably want to replace the drain valve with a ball valve or something, but if it’s in a place where it doesn’t matter if you make a big mess, you could just remove it altogether. Probably best, still, to replace it, as you might not be able to put back the factory valve afterward.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If you have a wet/dry shop vac, you can use a piece of 3/4″ copper pipe with a 45 fitting towards the end. It should be about three feet long, with one end attached to the vac hose. This and a little time works to vacuum sediment from an electric tank if you go in through the lower element port. 😎

Yours, Larry

ac
    Participant

Thanks Larry. I made a contraption with clear tubing and pvc pipe to attach to a shop vac.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page