Buy New, Or Refurbish?

The Tank Buy New, Or Refurbish?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    katfeed
    Participant

I have GE 50g electric, 6yr warranty from 2003! I was recently flooded for the 2nd time, 3′ under, and HWH has gone crazy, again. Not enough Hot for regular shower, scalding if HW runs for a few seconds., Never performed maintenance, as was scared… Not scared no more! Promise to do maintenance, as described on your site! That makes so much more sense. No leaks, just insane fluctuations of temp. I would call my usual HVAC guy to do, just don’t have the $$$, so I have to figure this one out on my own: 1st) Should I replace both heat elements, plus sacrificial, plus probably thermostat? Or, 2nd) Do I just get new? And 3rd) and final: how the heck do ya know what element to buy? Do I go by the watts, plus determine if it’s screw in or whatever the other is?
    Thank you all for your answers,:),
    Kathi M

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The basic approach (whether you do the work yourself or have it done) is to look at the anode first…. if it’s OK, go ahead and fix the heater. Otherwise not. So, if the anode is OK, replace the thermostats and check the elements with a meter as described in “tanklets”. I’d have a look at every electrical part, including wiring, to make sure you see no signs of trouble. Fixing needn’t cost much.

I should say, that if the flood water was germ laden, you can expect microbes are living in the heaters’ insulation and you might be better off just replacing the beast. I don’t like saying that, but any money you save is all lost if you get sick 😕

Yours, Larry

katfeed
    Participant

Thank you so much for reply. I will tear apart later today, and look at anodes, w/ meter as suggested, if OK, I’ll do test to thermostat…. wasn’t quite sure which step to take first, wasn’t quite sure about those anodes thing… Now Re: microbes, unfortunately we are covered for medical, not so with Flood, sad to say, we’ll be OK as long as I have HW and Bleach…. Just want HW!!!! Thanx again,
    katfeed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page