burner problem?

The Tank burner problem?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mattieec
    Participant

Our water heater is giving us a problem lately.

We’ll discover that we have no hot water, so my husband goes out to check on the water heater. The smell of gas is strong around the heater, the pilot light is lit, but the burner doesn’t light until after he opens up the cover to look at the burner. At that point, all the gas that has accumulated around the heater flashes, and then the burner lights up and heats the water. A week or so later, sometimes longer sometimes shorter, it happens again.

Any suggestions of what might be wrong? Does the entire water heater need to be replaced, or is the culprit likely a part that can be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It sounds like pilot placement is wrong as well as the possibility of a leaky gas connection or dirty burner. I don’t see that this should be an expensive fix, but you do need someone who understands pilots and combustion. I’d call a plumbing and heating person… I trust you understand you have a dangerous situation 😯

Yours, Larry

Ej
    Participant

This is common for a burner that has sooted up. Any delayed ignition situation is dangerous as Eleent mentioned.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page