Bradford White gas powervent

The Tank Bradford White gas powervent

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    m_cat12
    Participant

Hello. Very happy to have found this forum. I have a water heater that is not having any problems. But, ive not made any improvements or PM since it was originally installed around 2003. Model number is: mitw50l6bn12. Pictures attached. I have a few basic questions:

– ive never flushed this unit but would like to do so. I do not know how to do this safely.
    – there are several descaling solutions on the internet besides Mag Erad. Has anyone had any experience with these solutions?
    – of the kits available for sale on the site, which kit would be the correct fit for my unit.

Thanks for your help. Matt 🙂

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Followup and recommendation from Randy:
    -i am copper plumbed which will make maintenance more difficult. I will have these switched to flex lines if possible.
    -Mag Erad is the safer choice. Although secondary to anode check and replacement
    -i will replace drain spout with ball drain
    – after looking through my manuel, it looks like this unit has 1″ of insulation.
    -i need to measure and reply for the curved dip tube and magnesium replacement.

Thank you. 😀

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Hello. Thought i would send an update to anyone interested.
    -i drained my water heater for the first time in 7-8 years. I never new that i had to do this to help keep my water heater in tip top shspe.
    -i drained for over 30 min. Then turned on the cold water to ‘flush’ for 5 min.
    -the tank had cooled for 1 hour prior to starting the drain…i shut off the gas and unplugged the powervent.
    -all the water that came out of the tank was crystal clear?

So now i know that i dont really have a major problem. I will do another drain/flush in a few months just to be thorough. And i do need to complete the items above as well.

Ive contacted several plumbers about my plans above and have found several who are not interested in this work? Confused.

Thank you.

m_cat12
    Participant

Couple other pics of my unit: side, some lime in cold inlet, lime on ice maker/refridge water line, expander

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Cold line

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Water line to fridge

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Expansion tank

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Gas line/thermostat

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Tank info sticker

Attached files

m_cat12
    Participant

Thought i would update the group:
    So ive purchased everything needed to upgrade my system. I think i got the first package listed. Next step was to hire a plumber to help me with this project.

So i called and spoke to a guy and he basically said that he would not perform the work. I told him my tank was 10 yrs old and he flat out told me to just replace it as they do not typically last over 10 years.

The whole point of this exercise was to avoid paying $2000 on a new system! I will be calling other local plumbers this week. Frustrating.

m_cat12
    Participant

Oh, one other quick question: over the winter, ive noticed water around the base of my waterheater and hvac unit. I have checked and checked both machines and cannot for the life of me Identify the source. It almost looks like there is water leaking in from the ground? Thoughts?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Where does the temperature/pressure relief valve drain line end? It may be plumbed to the outside, but if it ends at the base of the heater, try feeling the inside with a finger and see if there is any wetness.

Sometimes water DOES come up out of the ground. Or there is what we call a slab leak. For that one, make sure nobody is using water and check the water meter to see if any dials are turning.

As to plumbers, some will say that, but not everybody.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page