Bradford-White

The Tank Bradford-White

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PAULNY20
    Participant

My first post here. Great forum. I have a 9 year old Bradford-White power vent model that uses the Honeywell “smart-valve”. The ignitor glows fine, and the pilot then lights OK and appears to be around the flame sensor rod OK, but the main burner does not always light on the first attempt (perhaps normal?). If I manually turn the valve off and then on, it will re-light (almost always) within 3-4 tries. After 5, it times out and shuts down for a while. Meanwhile, the vent motor is cooking the whole time (don’t want to burn that out). Is this a bad valve or a bad flame sensor rod? (or something else?).

Thanks

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Power vents are kind of a weak point for several of us. My experience has all been in apartment complexes and you never see them there. Since it doesn’t appear that anybody else is going to post an answer, I suggest you contact Bradford White’s tech department and ask them. BW’s general number is 800-334-3393

Randy Schuyler

PAULNY20
    Participant

Thanks Randy. I’ll give it a shot (again). I did call them once but Bradford-White sells only to professionals and their “customer service” didn’t seem to happy to be talking to a do-it-youselfer.

Ej
    Participant

One thing you might try is to take a piece of sand paper and lightly sand the flame rod. Also make sure the sensing wire is tight. The Honeywell Smart Valve yields 0.6 microamps under full flame. This can be checked with a multimeter. A low or 0 reading might indicate several problems like:
    1. The sensor is to far from the flame.
    2. Carbon buildup on the rod .
    3. Shorted to ground to ground.
    4. Continuity is not present between the control module and the flame rod (use the meter’s continuity function to check).
    If these all check out I would then replace the valve.

PAULNY20
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try your suggestions. It’s always these intermittent problems that get me nuts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page