Black Water

The Tank Black Water

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bj
    Participant

😕 When running hot water I sporadically get a stream of total black water. It’s still water but black, black! Any ideas?? Bj

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

How old is your water heater? And what is your plumbing made of, copper or steel? Very rusty water can appear black and I’ve seen some pretty nasty stuff coming out of commercial water heaters when we flushed them.

Also, what make of heater is it? Sometimes aluminum anodes will discolor water.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Also, tell us about odor. Is it smelly like rotten eggs, or sort of metallic, or nothing? Do you have an instant hot, or recirc line?

Yours, Larry

Bj
    Participant

It’s a Republic ThermoGlas w.h. and I’m guessing about 15-20 yrs old. In 10/1998 the “3/4″ line 5′ section of galv rusted w/hole replaced w/nipple (brass) w/copper up to new flexs.” Hope this helps. There isn’t any odor that we’ve detected. Bj

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The heater may well be rusting if it’s that old, but there could still be galvanized somewhere in your system, as well. Consider checking the anode, but don’t be surprised if there’s nothing left but the plug. Anodes, and water heaters if you don’t change the anode, don’t last forever.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page