Black Sediment from Hot Water

The Tank Black Sediment from Hot Water

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cfrommi
    Participant

Happy to have found this site.

My home was built in 2002. I am the first owner. We are on a community well and have (and use) a salt based whole house water softening system.

After a couple of years in the home we had major sulfur odor in hot water. Tried replacing anode in old Hot Water Tank, but odor still present. Eventually, just removed anode completely. Problem solved (though obviously was always weary of tank leaks/failure).

Finally replaced original Hot Water Tank last year. After about a year we are getting lots of blackish/red sediment out of hot water in master tub (no problem with cold). Sediment settles quickly and must be wiped from tub (i.e., does not rinse down with just water). There is no sulfur (or other) odor. This tub is used infrequently. Just started to have the same problem from the double sinks in the same bath room (again from Hot water only). Have not really noticed problem from other outlets. Given the well water and water softener, I am concerned that any replacement anode will not solve problem. Not excited to simply remove anode again. Any Help/Advice Is GREATLY appreciated!

cfrommi
    Participant

Additional info. No braided steel lines connecting hot water heater.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If you have a recirculation line and if some resin has escaped from the softener, you may be seeing it in your tub. That red stuff, if it feels like rounded grains of sand is likely zeolite resin from the softener. If there is no recirc line, than lets reconsider. 😀

Yours, Larry

cfrommi
    Participant

Thanks very much for your response. I do not have a recirculation line (but wish I did, takes forever for hot water to get to this bathroom).

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

OK: Is there any steel plumbing in the line supplying the tub? That could cause the color. 😉

Yours, Larry

cfrommi
    Participant

Unfortunately, I am not sure, it is a jetted tub that is surrounded by tile so I cannot see exactly how it is hooked up. Given that the home was built in 2002, wouldn’t it be most likely that copper was used?

Everywhere that I can see, under sinks, in the basement, etc., it is copper.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’m just back from a conference on hot water and one of the presentations was on bio-films. That is nearly impossible to get rid of colonies of organisms living on pipe walls or wherever they like inside plumbing. So a thought is to gather up some of the stuff you see in the tub and get it tested to see if it could possibly be alive and what then to do about it. System chlorination or treatment might not be sufficient as it is now. 😕

Yours, Larry

snl42
    Participant

My home was built in 2003, 2400sq ft., in pacific NW. We are not on a well. We are on city water line. When we turn on the hot water for the jetted tub we get bursts of blackish “ink” like water from the faucet. As i run the hot wide open it comes and goes. It leaves a black slightly oily residue. The tub is at the opposite end of the house from the hot water heater. The piping under the tub looks like combination braided copper and straight copper pipe. I don’t see any mold.
    Plumbers cannot tell me what the problem is. I’m worried. Please tell me who to talk to.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

What brand water heater? Aluminum anodes sometimes cause black water.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Also, what sort of supply lines do you have on top of the water heater? Are they braided stainless steel by chance? 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page