Atwood Pilot light and gas control problems

The Tank Atwood Pilot light and gas control problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nebage
    Participant

I have an Atwood (G6A-7)6 gallon RV water heater. I cant get the pilot to stay lit after I release the button. I’ve changed the thermocouple but still have the same problem. Could it be the ‘new’ thermocouple or the gas control valve. if so how do I replace the gas control valve? (like pull it off and put a new one on).
    thanks

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Go to Tanklets using the link at the top of the Tank topics index and read the one on FVIR issues. You may need to do some dusting.

Randy Schuyler

nebage
    Participant

I’m going to get another couple today, try a good cleaning and see if that works. I looked at the link you sent but could find nothing that directly linked to my issue.
    When I got the travel trailer, I had issues lighting the pilot, then somehow got the main burner to light, once the water was hot it shut down and the pilot went out. Haven’t got it working since.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I was pretty sure there was one in there about needing to keep the bottom air intake screen clean. If it clogs with dust on some water heaters, the pilot won’t light.

Randy Schuyler

Ej
    Participant

Randy this is a 6 gallon RV heater. Make sure the pilot is large enough to heat the thermocouple. I always get spider webs in mine.

nebage
    Participant

I bought a new control valve today and pilot assembly, found it all for $100 at a ‘nearish’ by dealer. So From the model number on the valve it seems to indicate it’s the original valve, so I’m sure its shot! I just need to work out how to get this thing out, its in there tight! Any suggestions? or how to’s?

Ej
    Participant

Take a picture of your heater so I can see your setup.

nebage
    Participant

this is not directly of mine but the same model

Attached files

nebage
    Participant

I’m guessing a great big pair of channel locks, which I don’t think Ive got! Ugh

nebage
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I did some extra research by the model number on the control valve. Seems it was the original one and the trailer is an 86 so I dare say it was shot, It did some weird stuff when I first fired it up! I managed to find a new ‘updated’ control valve and pilot assembly for $100 (+taxes), got it together today so much quicker and less painful than fault finding! Was a little tough to get it off, first finding a pipe wrench, then getting in there, but got it done. Took a little to get it lit due to air in the line but now its running like a charm! I dare say it was the valve. thanks again,
    Ben 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page