AO Smith Propane tank won't fire

The Tank AO Smith Propane tank won't fire

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ATXHomestead
    Participant

Just bought a house. Three year old AO Smith propane water heater. Had the propane vendor inspect the water heater (and all other propane appliances). He said all pressures are normal but couldn’t get the burner going. I figured it was the thermostat and replaced it. Situation remains the same. Pilot is lit. Thermostat says everything is good with its single flashing light every three seconds. Burner will not fire. I’ve got a new thermopile and wiring kit coming in, but was under the impression that if the thermopile failed it would shut down all gas consumption. Plus, I can hear the thermostat click-on as I turn up the heat. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Your situation is strange. You clearly have gas to the unit and a new control and it isn’t working. It’s a long shot, but if the main burner orifice were clogged, it could do what you describe. What I’ll describe as a test is tricky, but far safer than using propane to test. This would be to shut off gas to the water heater, and disconnect the gas supply line. Then remove burner from the combustion chamber and after doing that reconnect the thermocouple line to the control. Now use a match or other gentle flame to heat up the thermocouple and see if when you turn up the temp and hear that click, you can blow air (breath) through the gas control.

Of course, the other test you can do is to remove the burner from the control and heater and then try blowing through the main burner tube and see if your breath can flow through it. The first test will check control function while the second test checks for a blockage in the burner assembly.Do let us know how it goes!
    Yours, Larry

ATXHomestead
    Participant

thanks. Will give that a try tomorrow. I had also thought there might be an obstruction related to the burner. For now the gas is off. Cold showers for all.

ATXHomestead
    Participant

It worked … sort of.
    I took out the burner element and tried blowing through the supply tube. It was completely blocked. I blew as hard as I could and heard something blow out of the orifice that feeds the burner. Put it all back together. The water heater now heats water. However … the flame is uneven and slightly “noisy”. The burner itself showed a surface patina of rust. Some rust particles had accumulated on the top face of the burner. I’m shopping for a new supply tube and burner now.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, If you haven’t already bought the parts, you may be able to simply unscrew the orifice, blow/clean things out and replace the orifice. 😎
    Yours, Larry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page