AO SMITH FSG [GAS] WATER RUNNING

The Tank AO SMITH FSG [GAS] WATER RUNNING

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Don
    Participant

I have an AO SMITH FSG GAS Water heater.

It sounds like the water is running constantly.

I also noticed outside that the overflow is discharging a small flow of water.

When I turn the water off to the system all goes quiet and the flow stops.

What is the problem? Is it the T&P valve or the thermostat?

If it is the T&P valve, how do I change and what are the steps to do so? If it is the thermostat, how do I change?

Which should I try first?

I did do a tank drain to get the sediments out, it was clean.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If water is running outside, then probably it’s the T&P. For starters, take a hammer and tap on the handle. That may stop it. Failing that, what you need to do to replace it depends on how the drain line is installed. If it is soldered copper piping, that will have to be cut so you can unscrew the valve and replace it.

You can check out some alternatives to soldering afterward under Preventive Maintenance, for which there is a link bar on the home page.

The thermostat wouldn’t have anything to do with water running all the time unless the tank was firing continuously.

Another possibility for continuous running is appliances, which you’d have to check one by one.

Randy Schuyler

Don
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll try that. If it doesn’t work I’ll look at the configuation, but I I do know I have copper piping for the water heater.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page