Anode rod, what fits what?

The Tank Anode rod, what fits what?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I have a Ctaftmaster 40 gal tank that is about 5 years old and would like to check/change the anode. How do I find out what tank takes what rod? Installed many a tank, but have never ventured into the anode hole before. Thanks

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It has a hex anode in its own port. You could replace it, if need be, with my SKU8 or SKU10. The second is a flexible anode for low clearance.

Randy Schuyler

Thanks, Randy. Now don’t laugh, but aside from length, will most tanks accept the same anodes? I mean, are they more or less interchangeable when dealing withajor brand tall 40 gal tanks? Install are easy, repairs are not as benign as I am learning. All the tanks i am dealing with were purchased from either Lowes or Home Depot. Thanks again.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Provided they are residential-type tanks, yes. Sometimes RV tanks and such get a little weird. Anything from Lowes or Home Depot will have a hex anode.

Randy Schuyler

So, let get this crystal clear: a hex-head will fit a hex-head. There’s no special diameter or special order possibilities? Got my 1/2″ impact gun,my 1-1/4″ impact socket, and a can of Blaster ready to go.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

You got it.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: All good except that the hex head needs a 1- 1/16th inch socket. I’d get a six point socket just to be sure it won’t round the corners of the old anode. 😉 Also, I don’t know what “Blaster” is, but if it is some sort of solvent or rust dissolver, I wouldn’t use it, as you don’t want ANY chemicals getting into your water. 😯

Yours, Larry

Thanks again. I had been under the impression that each tank manufacturer had their own specific anode rod. I didn’t realize any hex head will fit any tank. I mean a 3/4″ hex head. But does rod diameter matter when replacing the anode?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

In terms of making it fit, no. In terms of making the water heater last longer, yes. Thinner rods, shorter warranty, usually. 6-year-warranty, usually .75-inch-diameter. 12-year, .90-inch.

Randy Schuyler

Oh, one more question. What is the difference between resistored and not resistored?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Rheem is the only one who uses those. The resistor is designed to lower magnesium’s higher driving current to that of aluminum and get the tank through the warranty period.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page