Anode Rod Passivation Question

The Tank Anode Rod Passivation Question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ODA
    Participant

Situation: Moved into my current house approximately 5 years ago. Never had soft water. There was a non-functioning, broken water softener on the side of the house, but I didn’t hook it up or repair it. The city water supply is definitely hard.

The water heater I inherited is a direct vent Ruud, manufactured in 2010. According to the manufacturer, it had a six year warranty. It has only the original manufacturers anode, which in Ruud’s case, is a non-accessible magnesium anode, with no “bump” on the hex head.

There was no aftermarket combination anode rod installed.

I decided to check the status of the anode rod, so I cut through the sheet metal top to gain access to it.

Upon pulling out the anode (partially, due to lack of overhead clearance), to my untrained, inexperienced eye, it appeared that this anode was not sufficiently corroded. I assumed that the anode rod would be very corroded. Instead, it appears to be pretty clean and non-corroded, for being in hard water for about 8 years.

Question: Is this anode rod passivated?

I am attaching photos to assist in diagnosing this.

Thank you.

Attached files

ODA
    Participant

Top View

Attached files

ODA
    Participant

Anode coming out.

Attached files

ODA
    Participant

Anode Rod.

Attached files

ODA
    Participant

Anode Rod 2

Attached files

ODA
    Participant

Anode Rod 3

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, It looks at least partly passivated to me. The resistor in the top of the anode seems to work a bit too well. After eight years in hard water it should be largely gone. I’d replace it with a non-resistored, flex anode after having a look around the tank and in the combustion chamber to make sure there isn’t already a leak. 😎

Yours, Larry

ODA
    Participant

The flex anodes you sell are non-resistored, correct?

ODA
    Participant
    Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Randy can answer that better than me, but I’m quite sure they have no resistor. 😎

Yours, Larry

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That is correct.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page