Alternate TP valve location on top… use it for anode?

The Tank Alternate TP valve location on top… use it for anode?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kpinkert
    Participant

I just bought a new Whirlpool electric 50 gallon 12 year tank from Lowes. It has the extra insulation and the T&P valve is located on the side near the top. The parts illustration shows an alternate T&P location on the top a couple of inches from the anode rod. I know there is a plastic cap over this location, but I am not sure yet if there is a plug in the tank there. If there is a plug, could I use this spot for another anode rod? I do not believe my tank as the second combo anode rod in it (according to my parts diagram anyway). Having two anode rods only a couple of inches apart would not hurt anything, correct?

I understand that I would need to make sure both anode rods are of the same material. We have never had a problem with rotten egg smells and the old tank (22 years old) had an aluminum rod (I believe). The old tank was a Rheem.

Thanks,
    Kevin

kpinkert
    Participant

Never mind answering… I checked and there is not hole and no plug under the plastic cap, so I do not need an answer.

Thanks anyway,
    Kevin

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I suppose this is not an answer, but it could be construed as a comment 😀 Your point is to get two anodes in the tank. They should both be the same metal, preferably magnesium. If you have a separate hex head anode already in place, a second rod can be put in at the hot outlet. It combines functions of hot outlet and anode, hence the name “combo rod”.

Answerlessly yours, Larry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page