age and efficency

The Tank age and efficency

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daleinohio
    Participant

I have a 80 gallon 16 year old state water heater electric never did any maintance we use well water am I using more electric to heat tank because of sediment?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Most often when you see a spike in electricity usage that can be attributed to the water heater, it’s caused by a hot water leak. Sediment doesn’t have any serious effect on electricity use. I’d watch your water meter when everything is supposed to be off and see if it shows any flow. Also, at sixteen years, an unmaintained heater could leak any time. I think I’d check the anode rod and replace it if there is anything left, and if not, consider putting in a heat pump unit. 😉

yours, Larry

daleinohio
    Participant

the tank I want to replace would have to work with my desuper heater connection from geo can you go with a hybrid and connect a desuper heater

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, It seems your present tank is acting as storage for the desuperheater. I’d contact both the maker of a heat pump water heater and the geo unit you have and ask them if “marrying” the two would have any problems or warranty issues. If not, good!
    Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page