After draining W-H, Constant Drip now from TP valve dra

The Tank After draining W-H, Constant Drip now from TP valve dra

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    beth80
    Participant

I read about Water Heater maintenance (draining sediment) and kept insisting my husband & I try it on our house we bought a few months back. The W-H is about 12 yr old and we live in St Louis, sort of hard water. My husband kept resisting, saying we would be asking for something to go wrong.

Finally, we tried it yesterday with instructions we printed off from the manufacturer (Ruud). Now we get a constant drip from the drain pipe coming off the T+P valve. Gallons accumulate within hours. I took a photo and tried to post it for you with this message but your b-board said the file was too big & wouldn’t let me.

Anyway, I am trying to avoid a large expense, I thought this all could be DIY, but it appears my husband was right & we invited trouble. It appears there is a threaded connection w/ white stuff (teflon tape?) next to the T+P valve, so could we screw that off and replace the T&P valve ourselves?

My husband has experience with plumbing, installing a new bathroom and now gutting & remodeling an old bathroom.

Thanks!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Leaky relief valves are common and not difficult to deal with. Shut off the energy source and water to your heater. Put a hose on the drain to relieve pressure. Remove the T&P and screw a new one in place. Hook up the drain line to the new T&P and put everything back to normal. Do make sure to run water out of the tub spout to make sure there is no air in the system before turning the energy source back on to the heater. If you’re in luck, the job will take 15 or 20 minutes 😉

Yours, Larry

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

But before you go that far, take a hammer and tap on the handle of the T&P and see if that stops the drip. Lots of times you’ll have to replace the valve, but sometimes tapping solves it.

Randy Schuyler

beth80
    Participant

Thank you, thank you!! That did the trick! At first I was afraid to tap with the hammer, but once I let the full weight of the hammer fall onto the top of the T&P, the constant drip stopped!! No more water accumulating in the bucket, and it’s been more than a day.

Thaks for the tip!! 😀

-Beth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page