Advise

The Tank Advise

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    McNal
    Participant

I have a home that was built in 76. When I turn on the hot water to the shower or the bathroom it takes to long for any hot water to get to the faucet, far to long. I have been thinking on swapping to tank-less hotwater heaters. The current location of our hotwater heater is along one of the brick walls next to the bathroom which has its own 5 ft x 5 ft room. There is a heating and AC unit in within this same room but I think I could extend my old out of date bathroom another 3 food if I went tankless. The problem is I’m really uneducated in this area and am not really sure if tankless is the way to go anyway to solve my slow hot water issue. I also need to factor in cost which is why I havent done anything with it yet.
    Any thoughts to fix my slow hot water or my thoughts of converting to tankless.

If I convert to tankless how big of a tank do I need? My house 2,400 sq ft. The down stairs bathroom is right next to the current heater with the upstairs bathroom directly above. The kitchen is at the other end of the house. Should I place a smaller tankless under the sink to the kitchen? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: A tankless heater, if it’s placed where your current heater is, will only make it take longer to get hot water. When you turn on the tap now, hot water starts flowing immediately from the tank. A tankless unit takes around 7-15 seconds before hot water starts coming from the unit. So, one choice is to put a demand controlled pump in http://www.gothotwater.com and leave the heater where it is. Hope that helps.

Yours, Larry

McNal
    Participant

Well 7 to 15 seconds is nothing right now I have to wait 3 to 5 minutes before I get even a trace of slightly warm water. This other system you point out how does it keep the water in the lines hot. I mean wouldnt it have to continuously reroute the water back to be heated even when your not using it to keep hot water in the lines? Would that be less energy efficient? Like I said I’m not knowledgeable in this department. How much would something like this cost to have installed? I see its about $700 for the unit. Would they need to run any additional piping for it or just the equipment?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The way a demand pump works is, you press a button that turns it on and pulls hot water from the heater to your faucet, possibly pushing the cold water already in the line into the cold line so that there is no water waste. Once hot water arrives, the pump turns off.

You do have to push the button and wait a moment, but that’s better than standing in the shower with cold water running over your feet and waiting for hot water to arrive.

It doesn’t require extra piping. Cost depends on the installer.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page