Added a second water heater (hybrid), now I have stinky water

The Tank Added a second water heater (hybrid), now I have stinky water

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sravet
    Participant

Hi folks, hoping I can get a suggestion on how to fix my stinky water problem.

We’ve had a 40 gallon Bradford/White heater for years, on softened well water, with no problems other than it didn’t really give our family of 7 enough hot water.

A couple months ago I added a 50 gallon Rheem hybrid water heater, plumbed in series with the existing heater (cold water to Rheem, hot water out to Bradford, then to the house).

A couple weeks after adding the Rheem we started getting smelly water at the hot water taps. I disinfected both heaters with peroxide as recommended here, and the smell went away for a couple weeks.

It came back and I have disinfected a second time but I doubt it will last. From reading the site I’m not sure which if any of the anode options will work for me. I haven’t yet looked at the owners manual to find out about the anode, but both inlet and outlet are on the side of the tank as the top is where the compressor is.

So some questions:

Does the blame lie with the new heater since the old one was fine for many years? Or will both need anode treatments?

Is there an aluminum/zinc anode that will work with the hybrid? Or a powered anode?

thanks,
    –steve

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’d say there is no odor from the Bradford White because the anode is all gone. Somewhere under the cover of the Rheem, you’ll find the anode port. I’d like a picture of that to see if a powered anode can be used.

If you replace the anode in the Bradford, it will start to smell, too. If it’s a pretty old heater, I’m not sure that’s worth it.

Randy Schuyler

sravet
    Participant

Thanks Randy. The BW is… 7 years old? Maybe 8? Something like that. It’s never had any odor, even when it was new. I’ll check the anode and see how it looks.

I’ll find the anode on the Rheem and come back with a picture.

thanks,
    –steve

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The bacteria that cause odor are not native to aquifers. They get into it from the surface, so you could not have the problem for a long time, and then have it.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page