A.O. Smith Water Heater issues..

The Tank A.O. Smith Water Heater issues..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MarkoL
    Participant

So my place was recently bought and remodeled, and when all was said and done, I discovered the hot water wasn’t working, I thought it was an easy fix because the water heater was turned off, but that didn’t seem to do it.

I discovered that the unit was showing LED troubling shooting screens. So this is what would happen, the unit would turn on, and the flame at the bottom would start, the vent on top would kick in, and it would then shut off, show the LED configuration where it was the Green Light, then the light under the arrow, then the light under the C. It would do this about 3 times, until it just stopped and showed the configuration where all the lights except the one where there was no sign above it (I will attach pictures).

After reading the manuals and some things online, I made sure the exhaust was clear and nothing was obstructing it. I made sure the flame sensor was clean, and everything around where the flame lit up was clean. I even replaced the pressure switch and the limit switch. Nothing seemed to be working. The next thing I could think of replacing is the main control switch which would cost about 400$ for the part alone. Would it be better to invest a little more and replace the water heater since it is roughly 12 years old?

Pictures are here below:

AO Smith Water Heater

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I see from the error code that cleaning the air intake screen is suggested. This can be tricky to do. Did you access the screen from the under-side? That’s where I’d expect dust to build up, blocking air-flow. If you cannot get to the underside, possibly using your vacuum backwards to blow air down through the inlet screen, to dislodge dust, could help. 😉

Yours, Larry

ps. At 12 years, if you can make this heater work, it will want a new anode rod also!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page