#2 terminal on APCOM wh-9 melted looking

The Tank #2 terminal on APCOM wh-9 melted looking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chas1
    Participant

I have a 9 year old State Select 50 gallon water heater with upper and lower thermostats. Several days ago no hot water and so I reset red button and 2 days later had to do it again that was this past Thursday evening about 8pm. Around 9pm I thought maybe I smelled…ya know that electrical smell ever so faintly for a few seconds and nothing since. Nonetheless…not good so today I decided I better investigate further and so I took the lower water tank cover plate off, removed Styrofoam insert and upon inspecting the APCOM wh-9 thermostat found the copper wire under screw looking blackened and not shiny cooper like the others and the plastic area around the screw looking as though it had melted slightly. Besides a loose connection possibly causing this is there any other possibilities?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: A loose connection and maybe some moisture are the likely culprits. I’d replace the element and trim and reuse, or replace the wire. If there is evidence of any water, I’d try to find the source.

Yours, Larry

Chas1
    Participant

Thanks for responding Larry I appreciate it. No evidence of water ie rust/staining etc. I’m thinking loose connection as the screw looks like it’s sitting a little higher than the other screws with wires under them. I’m going to run some electrical test (ohming etc), replace thermostat and trim wire back to fresh copper and tighten done good.

Again, thank you for responding. Charlie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page