1 Dip Tube for OLD State water heater?

The Tank 1 Dip Tube for OLD State water heater?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FredR
    Participant

Just moved into a “new to us” 21 year old house with a 21 year old (1995)State Censible gas water heater. It’s a 75 gallon with 1″ nipples. I pulled the aluminum anode rod to see how it looked and it seems passivated, so I’ll replace it with a magnesium anode. The burner area looks OK, much better than I expected.

The dip tube is present (at least the top 18″ or so, which is all I can see). Should I go ahead and replace this? I don’t see them listed on your site (as I assume it takes a 1″ dip tube for the over-sized 1″ nipples). I emailed the State company and they were no help whatsoever. Told me to buy a new water heater because mine is old.

Are all dip tubes made with a flange and use a gasket (rubber washer?) other than the ones built into a nipple? Should I be able to remove the 1″ nipple without it collapsing?

I’d really like to settle the dip tube issue before I order a ball valve and magnesium .90″ anode. So, I’d appreciate any advice!

Thanks! Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I don’t carry 1-inch dip tubes. It’s very rare that anybody wants them. What you could do, however, is use a reducer bushing in the cold port and install a 3/4-inch one. And it’s a good idea because the plastic gets brittle with age and can break up.

Randy Schuyler

FredR
    Participant

Thanks, Randy!

Not sure what you mean. Would that be a plastic bushing? I know that the dip tube has a flange, but does the nipple press against the dip tubes flange and thus hold the tube firmly in place? If so, would a bushing add too much thickness? And, is there always a rubber gasket?

Or is the bushing metal and threaded so that I’d use it with a 3/4″ nipple? Like this brass reducer:
    Connection Size / Type 1 inch MIPT x 3/4 inch FIPT
    Fitting Type Bushing/Reducer Material Brass.

Then I would use your 3/4″ dip tube with integral nipple?

many thanks!

Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The factory dip tube just sits on a lip and is separate from the pipe nipple. My dip tubes have a pipe nipple integral to them, so they would screw into the port. You’d want a galvanized bushing reducing from 1-inch to 3/4.

Randy Schuyler

FredR
    Participant

Got it!

One last question before I order parts. I read that when removing a 3/4″
    dielectric nipple from the water heater to use a 5/8″
    bolt inside so not to crush it. Will a 1″ nipple require support inside, or is it enough stronger to not crush?

Thanks, Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The same issue applies. Get a bolt just smaller than the inner diameter of the nipple.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page