Site Map > Preventive Maintenance
and Commercial Installations
Basics: Longevity and Preventive Maintenance --
If you want to know how your water water heater is made and what
factors affect its longevity, start here. Topics:
Inside Story -- How
a tank is made, why it breaks.
Kills Water Heaters -- Usually
it's rust that kills water heaters, but neglect claims its share,
as can hidden pressure problems.
- Anodes -- The hidden
ingredient -- that you can control -- that determines how long
a water heater lasts.
- Passivation -- Anodes "go to sleep" occasionally, but nobody is certain why
- Powered Anodes, Softeners and Smelly Water -- A different kind of anode does a superior job of protecting water heaters in softened water while solving smelly water situations.
- Sediment -- It dissolves
out of hard water, settling into the bottom of the heater, where
it makes scary noises, harms the tank bottom and burns out electric
elements and recirculation pumps.
- Water Pressure Issues -- Too-high line pressure or thermal expansion spikes are hidden killers of water heaters that most people aren't aware of. How to test for the problem and resolve it.
- Safety -- Your water
heater may not be as meek and mild as you think.
Preparedness -- How
to ensure that you can get to the water stored in your heater
if disaster strikes.
Water Heaters -- Instantaneous
water heaters sound like a big improvement over tank-type heaters.
But are they?
- Tell Me Which Water Heater to Buy -- -- We can guide you, and parts of this section are meant to do just that, but there are good reasons why there is no simple answer.
a Water Heater -- Configuration is a lot more important than brand.
Maintenance -- What you need to do, through the years, to
keep your tank functioning efficiently and safely.
- Is My Water Heater "Rescuable" -- This is the hands-on guide to inspecting your heater to see if retrofitting for longevity is feasible.
Best Water Heater -- A few added parts will give you a superior
tank at big savings.1
and Energy Efficiency -- Comparing water heaters has gotten
more complicated, but it can still be done, and should be done.
Heating According to Larry -- Water-heater maintenance pioneer
wLarry Weingarten uses answers in The Tank to enunciate his philosophy
about water heating and plumbing.
Water, Save Energy -- Three mechanical systems and two design
systems aimed at cutting your wait for hot water, keeping too
much cold water from being wasted while waiting for hot water
to arrive at a fixture, and saving energy.
Cost Analysis -- A simple tool for comparing the overall cost
of different water heaters you might be considering buying.
- Tools -- We tell you to use certain tools to do certain maintenance
on water heaters. Here is a description of what those are and
what they do.
- What 2015 Changes Meant for Water Heaters -- The Department of Energy issued new rules in April 2015 that meant a sea change for residential water heaters.
Heaters in Commercial Settings--
Commercial applications, such as apartment complexes and restaurants.
Site Map Home